Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Real" vs. "Fake" food

While I was growing up, my family always used regular butter. Now that I am in college and buy most of my own groceries and make all of my own food choices I use margarine. I personally don't notice much of a difference between the two. They both look the same, smell the same, taste the same and can be used for all the same purposes. Margarine is said to be healthier for you and I would agree with this. Studies have shown that margarine is better for your heart than butter is (shown in the link). Margarine is also said to have less saturated fat content and less cholesterol. Obesity is a growing problem in the U.S. and I think many families could benefit from using margarine in place of butter.
As I stated before, I started using margarine more often once I got to college. Margarine is less expensive than butter and I find it healthier. I don’t think I will ever go back to using butter. There is no difference in my eyes and margarine works just as good for me as butter. The one occasion I think I would use butter again instead of margarine would be baking cookies. Cookies usually always call for butter and I think with using a large amount of butter like you do with cookies it would have an effect on the texture of the cookies. Other than baking I think I will be using margarine on a daily basis from now on in place of butter. It is proven to be healthier than butter so I don’t see any reason to go back to using butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment